- 1 How do I become a Taoist?
- 2 Where are Taoists located?
- 3 Are there branches of Taoism?
- 4 What should I learn about Taoism?
- 5 Can Taoists eat meat?
- 6 Does Taoism have a God?
- 7 Which country has the most Taoists?
- 8 What are the 4 principles of Taoism?
- 9 What are the 3 main beliefs of Taoism?
- 10 Is Taoism a Buddhist?
- 11 What are the two kinds of Taoism?
- 12 What’s the moral philosophy of Taoism?
- 13 What are the main Taoist texts?
- 14 What are the 2 important books of Taoism?
- 15 Which Tao Te Ching is best?
How do I become a Taoist?
But unlike most religions, modern philosophical Taoism does not require any specific form of belief or initiation. Becoming a Taoist can be as simple as reading Taoist texts to become familiar with Taoist beliefs. Certain practices – like attending temple, observing feng shui, and meditating – are considered Taoist.
Where are Taoists located?
Many modern Taoists live in Taiwan, although recent reforms in China have increased the number of Chinese Taoists. Mount Laojun in Luoyan, Henan Province, China is a sacred site for Taoists. Hundreds of Taoists embark on pilgrimages every year along with tourists from around the world to see this spectacular site.
Are there branches of Taoism?
Modern Taoism falls into main categories: ‘Southern’ Taoism, popular in Taiwan and South China and ‘Northern’ Taoism, a tradition largely unknown to Westerners but widely practised among modern Taoists in mainland China.
What should I learn about Taoism?
- Opening The Dragon Gate, by Chen Kaiguo & Zheng Shunchao.
- The Book Of The Heart: Embracing The Tao, by Loy Ching-Yuen.
- Taoist Yoga & Sexual Energy, by Eric Yudelove.
- The Taoist Body, by Kristofer Schipper.
- Awakening To The Tao, by Liu I-Ming (translated by Thomas Cleary)
Can Taoists eat meat?
The modern Taoist diet essentially respects the basic theory of yin-yang and the 5 elements, it relies heavily on unprocessed whole grains, fresh vegetables and very little meat. However, fish and other seafood should be consumed only once a week, due to the large amount of Yin.
Does Taoism have a God?
Taoist pantheon Taoism does not have a God in the way that the Abrahamic religions do. There is no omnipotent being beyond the cosmos, who created and controls the universe. In Taoism the universe springs from the Tao, and the Tao impersonally guides things on their way.
Which country has the most Taoists?
Today, the Taoist tradition is one of the five religious doctrines officially recognized by the People’s Republic of China. It is also a major religion in Taiwan and claims adherents in a number of other societies, in particular in Hong Kong, Macau and Southeast Asia.
What are the 4 principles of Taoism?
Four main principles of Daoism guide the relationship between humanity and nature:
- Follow the Earth. The Dao De Jing says: ‘Humanity follows the Earth, the Earth follows Heaven, Heaven follows the Dao, and the Dao follows what is natural.
- Harmony with nature.
- Too much success.
- Affluence in bio-diversity.
What are the 3 main beliefs of Taoism?
The ‘Three Jewels of Tao’ (Chinese: 三寶; pinyin: sānbǎo) refer to the three virtues of taoism:
- compassion, kindness, love.
- moderation, simplicity, frugality.
- humility, modesty.
Is Taoism a Buddhist?
Taoism is originated in China and many believe that it is started in the sixth century B.C. whereas Buddhism is said originated in the 500’s B.C. in India. Both Taoism and Buddhism belief in reincarnation which means the life after death and both have similar ultimate goals.
What are the two kinds of Taoism?
Northern taoism and southern taoism.
What’s the moral philosophy of Taoism?
The Taoist ideal is for a person to take action by changing themselves, and thus becoming an example of the good life to others. They should develop themselves so that they live their life in complete harmony with the universe. So the philosophy is not do good things; but become a good person.
What are the main Taoist texts?
Tao Te Ching The key book of Taoism was compiled around the 3rd century BCE. It’s called the Tao Te Ching ( Dao De Jing or Daode Jing ) – The Way and Its Power, and is also known as the Lao-tzu.
What are the 2 important books of Taoism?
Best Sellers in Taoism
- #1. Tao Te Ching.
- # 2. Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life: Living…
- #3. Change Your Thoughts – Change Your Life: Living…
- #4. Lao Tzu: Tao Te Ching: A Book about the Way…
- #5. The Inner Smile: Increasing Chi Through the…
- #6. Tao Te Ching: A New English Version (Perennial…
Which Tao Te Ching is best?
D.C. Lau is the best scholarly version I’ve found. Very well researched and goes into great detail regarding the origins and different interpretations. Jane English and Gia Fu-Feng captures the spirit of the Tao. The language is poetic, but not flowery.